This post is for my dear brother-in-law Mike.
We have some narrow stairs out the back door of our house. Narrow and slanted slightly forward. There have been a few people who have fallen down these stairs including Mike, Madeline, Jared and myself. I laughed every time.
A little background on my problem. There aren't to many things that can make me laugh as hard as people falling down. I DON NOT relish in the pain and embarrassment of others but I laugh, hard, at the physical act of falling even if it is me. When I was attending SUU the winters were my favorite. People were falling all over campus constantly. I remember carefully walking down a set of snowy stairs and getting to the bottom and falling flat on my back. There I was, splayed out on the ground, and I laughed and laughed. People were trying to help me up and all I could say in the midst of my laughter was "Did you see that?" and "That was awesome." One of my favorite shows is AFHV which 75% of the videos are of people wiping out. I wonder why it's my favorite?
Anyway back to Mike. This summer Mike fell down our stairs. I didn't see it happen but when I heard about it I laughed really hard and I don't think that he was very happy with me. Even a couple of days later when he showed us the serious bruises on his back I laughed. I don't mean to be rude. It's just that the vision in my head of someone falling is so much stronger than the pity I have for their pain.
Seriously, no joke, Jared just fell down said stairs on his way to Young Men's. It's not funny yet I laugh. I think that I am sick.
Well all of this brings me to Wednesday last week. I was headed to the car to take Madeline to preschool when I slipped about halfway down and fell on my lower back, kicking Madeline down the last two steps. It was pretty bad. It took me a while before I could stand up or see because of the tears in my eyes. I called my Ob and they put me on a 24 hour bed rest to monitor everything that the baby would do, which everything is fine. I could hardly move for about 4 days. So, I thought about Mike every time I thought about my fall and I realized that it really is not funny. But, then on Friday Jared asked me exactly how I fell and as I was telling him I started to laugh so hard. So if it is any condolence to you Mike I even laughed at myself after a very scary fall. I hope you don't hold this sickness I have against me. I feel bad about you falling. But I cannot promise that I won't laugh again if it is brought up in a conversation or if you fall down again. That goes for anybody else too. Sorry.
4 comments:
Wow that is a scary fall. If it's myself I'm injuring it's ok but if it could hurt someone else then it can be scary to think of. I'm glad everything is ok. I like the video. Phil and I love watching AFV.
i laugh so hard when people hurt themselves, too! i've pissed off so many people. but i laugh when i hurt myself, too... sometimes. i often feel bad, if i know someone is hurt, but it still just makes me laugh. i don't think i would like falling down your stairs out there though - they would hurt!!!
Fisrt, I am glad that you and the baby are ok. That is a scary fall. Second, I too LOVE to watch a good fall. The other day I was just walking along in Target and slipped and fell. Seriously out of no where, I just fell. It was hilarious.
Have you ever watched WipeOut? Very funny.
What is it with you ladies? Falling is not funny. It must be a girl thing! The older I get the more I dread the "plop" of a fall.
DeAnne fell on the ice Saturday while doing her visiting teaching. I felt so bad for her. She is doing fine. I think the angels caught her and helped heal her. DeAnne is trooper when it comes to doing her visiting teaching. In fact she is totally awesome to me in so many ways!
Brother Christensen fell and had to have surgury on both of his eyes and miss teaching his classes for 2 weeks. But when he told us about it, it was......funny!
Post a Comment